Phone: 0292 3821 557
Time to visit a place: 120 minutes
Open Time: 8:00 AM -
Close Time: 5:00 PM
Address: 14, Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, Tan An ward, Ninh Kieu County, Can Tho City
Can Tho Cathedral Diocese with the title of Sacred Heart of Jesus is the cathedral of Can Tho Diocese located at Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, Can Tho City.
In 1899, under the bishop Bouchut, Bishop of the Diocese of Phnom Penh, Father Duquet (Paris Foreign Missions Society) as pastor of Can Tho began construction of the church with a budget of about 700,000 dong.
The construction work was not completed yet; Bishop Bouchut had transferred Father Duquet to Phnom Penh Seminary as a new director. Then, the building was inaugurated by Father Larrabure in 1916.
On November 24th, 1960, by the Venerabilium Nostrorum edicts, the Vietnamese hierarchy was established. Then, Can Tho Church became Can Tho Cathedral. Bishop Philippe Nguyen-Kim-Dien was ordained prelate of Can Tho diocese and succeeded Bishop Paul Nguyen who became archbishop of Sai Gon archdiocese.
Inside the church, there is a tomb of Bishop Jacques Nguyen Ngoc Quang and Bishop Emmanuel Le Phong Thuan. As the number of parishioners increased, in late 1993, the church was rebuilt and two more extension parts were established to meet the needs of the laity.
https://www.cantho.gov.vn View more